Friday, December 2, 2011

I Hate Aspertame

Day 4 Thursday

I really do not like Aspertame. It isn’t because I like sugar and it isn’t sweet enough. Au contraire. I just hate the cardboard-ish way it tastes and the crappy way it makes me feel. It is not meant to be consumed.. I know this instinctively. I am really eager for my shakes (sans Aspertame) to arrive.. but they aren’t expected until next Friday. Not sure what I am going to do since I am going to have LONG run out of shake packets before then. I guess I am going to have to find an interim plan until they arrive. And, by the way, those shakes contain Sucralose.. and I realize that is merely the lesser of two evils.

Right now I am “enjoying” a mocha cream shake with three floating frozen strawberries (serving as flavorful ice cubes) and a dash of Frontier brand Raspberry flavoring. So a chilled Raspberry mocha if you will. Won’t you? No?

Really. These shakes are SO much better than they could be. The best I have tried so far.. and they are only 100 calories per envelope. I tend to make a 12 ounce shake using 1.5 envelopes. Sometimes at night, I will make a vanilla based one with some frozen fruit. I did buy a mini blender to keep at work, but I keep forgetting to bring it.. plus I have no ICE.

On the new WW plan, fruit is “free”, but I am still keeping track and eating it sparingly. They have made it “free” because “nobody is at WW for abusing apples” .. but fruit is still calorie rich and I am one who likes to eat a lot of veggies anyhow. I think they are trying to encourage people to eat fruit instead of low or zero point no nutrition foods like fat free pretzels etc.

Day 4 found me at just under my weight watcher point limit and at under 1050 calories. I did not tally it up until this (Friday) morning and simply ate to satiation mindfully. Usually when I eat “low” for a few days, I have a day or two of feeling positively famished, so I am anticipating that this weekend. I chose not to weigh myself this morning (Friday) because I was afraid of seeing the pound loss go away.

Treadmill not set up yet, so no exercise started.

Feeling less “meh”.. more in control.. knowing that I will feel significantly lighter within a week. Just plugging along.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Aspertame! I also get horrible headaches from it. A few years ago, I saw my mother's rheumatologist because I was having some of the same symptoms that she has. She had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and while I didn't walk out of there with the same diagnosis, I was told that my body was "trying to manufacture it". When I decided to cut Aspertame out of my diet to see if it would help with the headaches, lo and behold, away went all of my other symptoms as well! I then switched to Splenda and found I cannot use that either...it makes me dizzy! Again Sheri, I applaud you for your efforts and wish you the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I remember your Aspertame story from when I did this before. I am hoping I don't begin feeling that fatigue and pain again like I did before.. I do think a lot of that was a combination of medication I was on and needing to see a chiropractor (which made my body aches go away). That said, I do NOT like artificial sweeteners and consider this part of the diet temporary and goal-driven.

    How are you doing with your plan? Are you still on WW?

    Thank you so much for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete