Wednesday, March 2, 2016

I am a Special Snowflake

I will beat this.  

I have spent the last two days reading other people's testimonies, stories, successes and failures surrounding PCOS and weight loss and, if absolutely nothing else, I feel so incredibly validated finally.

I cannot tell you the level of guilt and shame I have felt over the last 8 years or so (but really... going back to after my 16 year old was born..) trying to work on my weight and seeing little to no results no matter what I did.  You just know that people are sort of scrutinizing you in disbelief.  You are not REALLY weighing or measuring your food.  You are not accurately logging.  "OK, special snowflake, science and the law of physics don't apply to you."  I realize that not everyone that struggles with weight loss with PCOS is actually eating at a deficit and accurately measuring their food, but I was (most of the time).  I have told people for years that moderation does not work for me.  The only way I am able to lose weight is by drastic means.  Now I can finally get validation that it is true.  I am not crazy.  I am not being dishonest logging.  I am not underestimating my caloric intake (most of the time, but come on.. I'm human).  I am not lazy.

My next step, aside from staying on the path I am currently on, is trying additional things that might help with the PCOS symptoms (such as insulin resistance).  Many women with PCOS take Metformin and some of those women experience immediate stasis and lose a lot of weight right away, and some of those women had zero results.  Most had bad side effects.  I would rather not take Metformin, but I am willing to consider it for the short term,.

Ceylon Cinnamon is supposed to help with insulin sensitivity.  I have it in essential oil form and I also plan to buy some (ground) at the natural market to take in gel caps.  I am amassing a list of supplements that are supposed to help with PCOS (Chromium, Rhodiola, Holy Basil, Saw Palmetto)... not sure which of those I will try.

I will not quit.  I have hit the 15# loss mark and I am going to keep going.  Eventually, I will be willing to take a slower approach as long as I see consistent progress, but for now, I am still staying on the same path trying to get to my pre-wedding goal of 130# / 20 more pounds lost.  It is not an outlandish unreachable goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment